The Extremely Inconvenient Adventures of Bronte Mettlestone
Scholastic Inc. | ISBN 9781338255867 Paperback
400 Pages | 5.415" x 7.533" | Ages 8 to 12
Scholastic Inc | ISBN 9781338255843 Hardcover
384 Pages | 5.82" x 8.53" | Ages 8 to 12
Scholastic Inc. | ISBN 9781338255850 Ebook
384 Pages | Ages 8 to 12
Available October 9, 2018!
Jaclyn Moriarty returns with her first middle-grade novel, a buoyantly high-spirited fantasy adventure.
Bronte Mettlestone is ten years old when her parents are killed by pirates.
This does not bother her particularly: her parents ran away to have adventures when she was a baby. She has been raised by her Aunt Isabelle, with assistance from the Butler, and has spent a pleasant childhood of afternoon teas and riding lessons. Now, however, her parents have left detailed instructions for Bronte in their will. (Instructions that, annoyingly, have been reinforced with faery cross-stitch, which means that if she doesn't complete them, terrible things could happen!) She travels the kingdoms, perfectly alone, delivering gifts to ten other aunts: a farmer aunt who owns an orange orchard, a veterinarian aunt who specializes in dragon care, a pair of aunts who captain a cruise ship, and a former rock star aunt who is now the reigning monarch of a small kingdom.
But as she travels from aunt to aunt, Bronte suspects there might be more to this journey than the simple delivery of treasure.
Raves & reviews:
Praise for The Year of Secret Assignments:
* "An unusual novel with an exhilarating pace, irrepressible characters, and a screwball humor that will easily attract teens, many of whom will yearn for madcap adventures and unshakably devoted friends like these." -- Booklist, starred review
* "Moriarty's story is complex, original, and unpredictable enough that it's much more than a guilty-pleasure read." -- Horn Book, starred review
Praise for A Corner of White:
* "Quirky, charming, funny, sad: another winner from this always-surprising author." -- Kirkus Reviews, starred review
* "Her irresistible characters help readers navigate a tantalizingly complex plot that will leave them eagerly awaiting the next book." -- Horn Book, starred review
* "In this lovely fantasy... mysteries abound." -- School Library Journal, starred review
* "The plotting is as innovative and riveting as the world-making here, and the characters are drawn with the same rich dimensionality you find in Pratchett's Discworld or one of Diana Wynne Jones's fantasies." -- Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books, starred review