Dear Canada: A Prairie as Wide as the Sea
by Sarah Ellis
ISBN 9781443113342 Ebook
208 Pages | Ages 8 to 12
Ivy Weatherall is just 11 years old when her family leaves England for the promised riches of Canada's expanding West. They've come to join her uncle for the available land, the lush harvests, and the opportunity for success. But in Milorie, Saskatchewan, their dreams crumble into dust when they reach Uncle Alf's small sod hut and discover that jobs are scarce, and that they can barely make ends meet.
Ivy's relatives pack up and head back to England, but to Ivy, Canada is full of wonder and beginning to feel like home. There are challenges in her new life, but Ivy's feisty character and her sense of wonder for a prairie as wide as the sea make her adventure one that readers won't easily forget. Vetted by a historical expert, this book contains maps, period illustrations/documents, and an extensive historical note.
- Short-listed, Red Cedar Award (BC Young Readers' Choice), 2004
- Short-listed, Chocolate Lily Book Award (BC Children's Choice), 2003
- Short-listed, Hackmatack Children's Choice Award (Atlantic Canada), 2003
- Commended, Resource Links, Best of the Year, 2002
- Commended, Canadian Children's Book Centre, Our Choice, 2002
- Short-listed, Sheila A. Egoff Children's Literature Prize (BC), 2002
- Commended, Canadian Library Association Book of the Year For Children, 2001
- French (N. Amer.) - Éditions Scholastic