From Vimy to Victory
ISBN 9781443124614 Hardcover
48 Pages | 9.32" x 10.81" | Ages 9 to 12
See an excerpt
Hugh Brewster captures the remarkable heroism, sacrifice, and victories of Canadian soldiers during the Great War.
All was not quiet on the Western Front during the last years of WWI. Soldiers faced mud, trench foot, bombardments, barbed wire, snipers, and poison gas. Despite dreadful odds, the Canadian Corps moved forward, reaching deep inside enemy-occupied Belgium. The war cost Canada 60,661 of its finest citizens and thousands more who were wounded in body and mind.
After their hard-won victory at Vimy Ridge, Canadians earned the admiration of the world — and a reputation as soldiers who could get the job done. From that moment in 1917, Canadian soldiers proved themselves again and again on the bloody battlefields of Passchendaele, Lens, Hill 70, and Amiens, during the Hundred Day's offensive.
From Vimy to Victory is presented in an engaging and accessible scrapbook style, with facts and details accompanied by first-person accounts, letters describing life at the Front, wartime diaries, and numerous images, maps, and diagrams that bring World War I to vivid life.
Praise for Dieppe: Canada's Darkest Day of World War II:
Honour Book, Children's Literature Roundtables of Canada Information Book Award
Finalist, OLA Silver Birch Non-Fiction Award
CCBC Best Books for Kids and Teens
"Dieppe can be described quite simply as superb . . . archival photographs, first-person accounts from surviving combatants or memoirs, and the connective tissue of his beautifully crafted text tell a story that is equal parts horror and valour." —The Globe and Mail
Praise for At Vimy Ridge: Canada's Greatest World War I Victory:
Winner, Norma Fleck Award for Children's Non-Fiction
Shortlist, Children's Literature Roundtables of Canada Information Book Award
Shortlist, OLA Red Maple Award — Non-Fiction
Shortlist, Rocky Mountain Book Award
Shortlist, Hackmatack Children's Choice Award
CCBC Best Books for Kids and Teens, starred selection
OLA Best Bets
* "At Vimy Ridge is a splendid introduction to a major event in Canadian history, and Brewster has created another valuable historical resource . . . Few copies will sit for long on library shelves." —Quill & Quire, starred review
- Short-listed, Norma Fleck Award for Canadian Children's Non-Fiction, 2015
- Short-listed, TD Canadian Children's Literature Award, 2015
- Commended, Best Books for Kids and Teens, Canadian Children's Book Centre, Starred Selection, 2015
- Short-listed, OLA Silver Birch Award, Non-Fiction, 2014
- Commended, Resource Links, Best of the Year, 2014
- French (N. Amer.) - Éditions Scholastic