How to Tame a Bully
by Nancy Wilcox Richards, illustrated by Drazen Kozjan
ISBN 9780439947831 Paperback
80 Pages | 5.27" x 7.61" | Ages 7 to 9
See an excerpt
How will Lauren cope with the new girl in her class who is bullying her? In this easy-to-read early chapter book, Lauren is thrilled to begin Grade 3 in her favourite teacher's class, and with her best friend. But also in the class is Bethany, a newcomer to the school - and a bully. As Lauren is subjected to a series of lunchtime and classroom challenges, she learns how to deal with her nemesis. Kids will relate to the familiar situations depicted in the story — being at a new school, making new friends, collaborating on a school project, and bullying.
Though the topic of bullying is a serious one, the upbeat text and fresh black-and-white illustrations add humour and lighten the tone of the book. How To Tame a Bully ties into Canadian curriculum (social studies, science, and health and life strands), and teaches children essential social skills.
- English (Australia/NZ) - Scholastic Australia
- English (UK) - Scholastic UK
- English (US clubs) - Scholastic Inc.
- French (N. Amer.) - Éditions Scholastic
- Bullying is a subject of concern for parents, teachers and kids.
- Kids will relate to the familiar situations depicted: starting at a new school, making new friends, collaborating on a school project, and bullying.
- The upbeat title and fresh illustrations add to the book's appeal, as does the humorous tone.
- Tie-ins to curriculum: Social Studies, Science, and Health and Life