Remembering John McCrae
ISBN 9780439935609 Paperback
40 Pages | 8.01" x 10" | Ages 8 to 12
See an excerpt
This award-winning tribute to the author of "In Flanders Fields" is now available in paperback.
"In Flanders Fields the poppies blow/Between the crosses, row on row..."
Every Canadian student, teacher, and parent can recite these powerful words. But behind every poem is a poet who lived, breathed, and in this case, led an extraordinary life. Despite John McCrae reaching Canadian icon status, his life story has been largely unknown.
In Remembering John McCrae, Linda Granfield, one of Canada's finest historians and celebrated authors of non-fiction for young readers, has compiled a beautiful tribute. In an accessible "scrapbook" style, more than one hundred photos, paintings, and documents are displayed to help create an intimate portrait of a true hero. Readers will learn about his life as a doctor and teacher of medicine, about his tour of duty in the Boer War, and of course, about his service in WWI, where he experienced a loss so profound it moved him to write "In Flanders Fields."
- Short-listed, Hackmatack Children's Choice Award (Atlantic Canada), 2011
- Short-listed, OLA SIlver Birch Award, Non-Fiction, 2011
- Winner, IODE Toronto Jean Throop Award, 2010
- English (NZ) - Scholastic New Zealand
- Strong crossover sales to adults
- Remembrance Day, Memorial Day and V-E Day significance
- Award-winning author with great name recognition in both the trade and schools. She is an in-demand speaker at schools.