ISBN 9781443146906 Paperback
ISBN 9781443146913 Ebook
240 Pages | 5.3" x 7.6" | Ages 9 to 12
See an excerpt
What would it feel like to know you are going blind?
Thirteen-year-old Finn loves bike riding — the more dangerous the trail, the better. But he had a spectacular crash a few months ago, and he’s just received a diagnosis that will change his life. He is slowly going blind. In a few years his vision will be gone.
Desperate to salvage something of his “last” summer, Finn invites a friend to the cottage and is drawn to a strange island that seems to glimmer — but no one else can see it. When he gets close, he’s sucked into something he could never have anticipated. Can Finn’s friend Cheese help him come to terms with “lights out” . . . or will it take something much more extraordinary?A note from David Carroll
“My best friend got some terrible news when he was a young teen. After visiting the eye doctor, he was told he had Stargardt Disease, a rare eye condition that would leave him blind by the age of 18.“ Hear more:
Hear the full interview below in Extras.
Awards and Praise for Ultra:
• Winner, Manitoba Young Readers’ Choice Award, 2015
• Winner, Diamond Willow Award (Saskatchewan Young Readers’ Choice), 2014
• Winner, Cybils (Children's and Young Adults Bloggers' Literary Awards), Middle-Grade Fiction, 2013
• Short-listed, Ruth and Sylvia Schwartz Award, 2014
• Short-listed, Red Cedar Award (BC Young Readers’ Choice), 2014
• Short-listed, OLA Silver Birch Award, Fiction, 2014
- Short-listed, Red Cedar Award (BC Young Readers' Choice), 2017
- Commended, Best Books for Kids and Teens, Canadian Children's Book Centre, Starred Selection, 2016
- Short-listed, Sunburst Award, Young Adult category, 2016
- David Carroll's interview with his friend, Kai Black, his main inspiration for Sight Unseen.
Sight Unseen Discussion Guide
Sight Unseen Discussion Guide Audio Clip
- All rights available
- Fast-paced action to appeal to boy readers
- Authentic: author has guided blind runners in marathons
- Engaging, popular author
- Unique mix of contemporary fiction and fantasy