Haunted: The House Next Door
ISBN 9781443157094 Paperback
160 Pages | 8.37" x 5.22" | Ages 8 to 12
See an excerpt
Prepare to scream!
Having grown up in the country with woods to explore and lakes to swim in, Matt isn’t exactly thrilled when his parents move to a new subdivision of cookie-cutter houses an hour east of Toronto. But he’s determined to make the most of the move. His little sister Sophie, on the other hand, is absolutely miserable. That is, until they discover that the house next door — an old stone farmhouse, whose owners have stubbornly refused to sell to developers — has a horse!
Sophie doesn’t care if the horse is past its prime; maybe whoever lives next door might even let her ride it if she helps care for it. Which would be a great plan . . . if only the horse and its owners weren’t already dead!
Praise for Haunted: The House Next Door:
"What could be scarier than moving next-door to a haunted house? How about a ghost horse? How about a ghastly murder or two? This book is CHILLING. Loved it!" — R.L. Stine, author of Goosebumps
- Winner, Diamond Willow Award (Saskatchewan Young Readers' Choice), 2019
- Commended, Best Books for Kids and Teens, Canadian Children's Book Centre, 2018
- English (India) - Scholastic India
- English (US) - Sourcebooks
- French (N. Amer.) - Éditions Scholastic
- French (World ex. N. Amer.) - Actes Sud
- Scary stories are popular all year, especially for camping and bedtime
- Horror writer and librarian Joel A. Sutherland brings a fresh approach to scary.
- The books focus on paranormal activity