ISBN 9781443142670 Paperback
ISBN 9781443142687 Ebook
168 Pages | 5.24" x 8.39" | Ages 9 to 12
See an excerpt
I forced my feet to the stage and turned around. This was going to be the scariest thing I’d ever done in my whole life. I looked down into the expanse of gleaming eyes and willed myself to focus on the next step ahead. I just had to make it through the next five minutes, word by word. Then it would be over.
Jelly Miles would rather be playing video games with his best friend P.B. than preparing for a speech competition. In fact, he’d rather be doing just about anything else. So he’s as surprised as anyone that he’s taking this year’s competition seriously. At first, it’s for the awesome prize. But when the competition turns ugly, Jelly realizes it’s his chance to finally get the last word with the class know-it-all. With his reputation, self-respect and the friendship he values most on the line, can Jelly find the courage to get up in front of the whole school and show his true self?
Laugh-out-loud funny, Speechless is about standing up to bullying, knowing who your friends are and finding your own unique voice.
- Commended, TD Summer Reading Club, 2017
- Winner, Surrey Schools’ Book of the Year, 2017
- Short-listed, Manitoba Young Readers' Choice Award, 2017
- Short-listed, Red Cedar Award (BC Young Readers' Choice), 2017
- Short-listed, Langley Schools Book of the Year, 2016
- Short-listed, OLA Silver Birch Award, Fiction, 2016
- Short-listed, Diamond Willow Award (Saskatchewan Young Readers' Choice), 2016
- Short-listed, IODE Canada Violet Downey Award, 2016
- Commended, Best Books for Kids and Teens, Canadian Children's Book Centre, 2016
- Commended, OLA Best Bets, 2015
- Short-listed, CBC Best Books of the Year, 2015
- Do you need to prepare a speech? Check out our “Speech-Making Tips that Will Leave Your Audience Speechless."
Need a speech topic? Try our “Online Speech Topic Generator!”
- English (Australia) - Scholastic Australia
- English (NZ) - Scholastic New Zealand
- English (US book clubs) -Scholastic Inc.
- English (UK) - Scholastic UK
- Portuguese -Melhoramentos
- Themes of social consciousness, bullying and friendship are deftly blended
- Authentic dialogue that reflects what’s important to kids at this age level
- Characters are unique and the plot twists are unexpected
- Laugh-out-loud funny!